The Blue Mountains UFO enigma has unceasingly intrigued RACE for many years now and has been our primary focus point on most of our expeditions. Since our first venture to the more remote regions such as the Jamison Valley, Mount Cookem and the Burragorang, we have literally been 'Johnny on the spot' (keeping in mind that this was a 'turn of luck' from previous attempts: much sacrifice, extensive work and ill fated journeys). Moreover, independent witnesses had notified us to recount their experiences of UFOs near the abovementioned areas. It is without doubt that the Blue Mountains lends itself to unusual phenomenon in the skies and, as we again experienced, within the density of its jungle-like forestry.

There had been three other incidents in previous years that suggest the existence of some peculiar life forms. I will details these a little later on.

In mid September 2007, we were once again loaded with all the necessities to conduct an organised expedition - this included research equipment and appropriate safety measures (rock climbing / abseiling gear in case of an emergency situation like bushfires, EPIRB, first aid, etc). We found ourselves floundering through the dense foliage with our heavy packs in order to locate base camp. The persisting gale force winds didn't add any ease to the long and strenuous hike. Arriving at the site was a relief from the adversities nature had thrown at us on our way there. Base camp was unique and picturesque - to the southwest an expansive 180-degree panoramic view of the Jamison and Burragorang Valley, while behind us thick vegetation and tall trees dominated an impressive gorge. Concerning thoughts of a rapid bushfire often crossed my mind. The only way to escape such devastation was to head southwest - directly off the cliff. An approaching blazing inferno, without the appropriate gear, would create a lethal situation.

Once base camp was established we began our first watch. Other than a few inexplicable lights in the far horizon, nothing else out of the ordinary was sighted that evening. A sudden southerly change brought bone chilling winds, airborne debris and a tide of mist, which made visibility difficult. By 12.30am the conditions deteriorated even further. Our research equipment were at stake and the night had to be called.

The next day was relatively calmer. It gave us an opportunity to experiment with numerous filters on our visual equipment such as Infrared and Polycontrast filters. Then at nightfall and we began monitoring the skies from our vantage point by using low lux camcorders, scanners (listening to air traffic control for any unregistered air crafts), electro magnetic interference meters and other measuring devices. This is where a thermal imaging system would have assisted our research immensely … especially in the following situation:

Around 9.30pm the team split in two. The second group decided to leave the vantage point and remain at base camp. At this point in time, one of the members, Dominic, became uneasy and felt that something was seriously amiss around the camp area. He alerted the rest of the team at the vantage point and I decided to investigate the source of this unpleasant atmosphere. Whatever caused this sense of unease made Dom aim his torch directly towards the jungle behind us.

To add to the tension, we all heard a howl like scream, unlike anything I have ever heard before, followed by heavy steps pounding the rocky ground below. Armed with a head mounted torch and a video camera I quickly scrambled down through the scrub. The ground beneath my feet suddenly gave way and I fell down hard onto a rocky outcrop, far below base camp.

Gathering my terrified breath I instantly looked around. It was dead silent with only the pale light of the full moon peering through tall trees keeping me company and whatever else was lurking out there. Luckily I managed to fall on my back without damaging the camera. My ankle twisted I attempted to turn the camera back on. Just then I heard a loud crunch only a few metres in front of me, as if a branch was crushed … and then silence again. I stood there for a while aiming my camera between the trees and shrubs. Nothing. I began a quiet yet painful climb back up to camp … and then another sound echoed from below - it sounded as if a rock was dislodged and crashed through the fern jungle below. As I rejoined the team I recounted my nerve wrecking experience. There was another quick search of the parameters, this time no disturbances were noticed.

The second team decided to return to the vantage point and continue the night watch for aerial phenomena. One of our members, Kellie, took the bionic ear. She placed the headphones on and began to listen into the darkness behind us.

It wasn't long after when Darren and I heard a loud thud just behind us, followed by Kellie exclaiming in pain. A large rock was thrown at us. As it hit the ground the bionic ear amplified the thud into an explosion, nearly deafening Kellie. Dom and Larraine called out from base camp. Something was wrong.

There was no overhang behind us to suggest that an animal might have accidentally dislodged a rock. The bolide had hit the ground with excessive force and rolled down the run off beside us. Shocked, Darren and I went to reinvestigate. This time we ventured to the far eastern part of the forest on the other side of base camp. We came to what seemed to be a cemetery of dead trees on a rock ledge. We turned our torches off and began to wait. Half an hour later … and nothing. We assembled at base camp, deciding what to do as the situation worsened. A large rock was hurled at us. What was to be expected next? Dominic said that to a point we pretty much dodged a bullet. A rock that felt considerable in size and travelling at a velocity that shook the ground beneath us when it collided with the ground - being struck by something like that would most likely have deadly consequences.

Talking about our next course of action, one of the torches reflected a pair of red eyes from the gorge below. Then it vanished. There was something large and 'chunky' out there, capable of smashing through trees (as Larraine described her experience later on), throwing large rocks and knowing the terrain better than anyone. It was watching us - listening and observing our every move. No matter how incredible it all sounded, the situation was very real.

I made a decision to approach this life form in a hospitable way by donating some of my rations (dehydrated beef). Again I found myself alone, heading down awkwardly towards the gorge with a slight limp - light and camera ready. I gently placed three strips of dehydrated meat on a boulder, just before a sudden drop into the Jurassic type wilderness. Then I hastily made my way back.

The rest of the night was spent at the vantage point with all the team members together, anticipating the unexpected.

The following day I interviewed members of the team to recount last nights shocking events. Kellie was telling us how the day before she was drawn out of her tent because of a strong sensation that someone or something was watching her.

Darren, Dominic and I agreed that we should investigate the gorge behind us. We would keep in touch with Kellie and Larraine via CB radios.

This was a second expedition within itself. Climbing down into the belly of the gorge it felt like we had stepped back in time, some 200 million years: jagged cliffs, mysterious caves, tall trees and a forest of ferns. We were in the middle of nowhere. Anything could live out here without anyone knowing about it. Kellie radioed: another large rock was thrown - this time it came from the southwest, beyond the cliff. Whatever threw the rock at Kellie and Larraine had to have incredible strength. Past the edge is a dramatic drop of around 30 metres or so. It then continues into a 50 - 60 degree slope, which ends with another deep fall. This thing had 12 hours to make its way down through some serious terrain. Was this something else … or perhaps more of them? Returning to base camp we finally made a decision to leave immediately. If one of those rocks were to strike us, it didn't matter if you're in a tent or outside, the consequences would be the same. It (or they) didn't want us there. By 5.30pm RACE were saddled up and on the move, through the dark of night and through the dense forest. I must admit that I have never hiked like this through the night. Regardless of the adversities it was a thrilling experience. We hiked up to the track where a fire trail led the way out. Our pick up wasn't until the next day. Considering what we had been through, nobody was comfortable hanging around much longer. We dropped our packs for a rest before Darren and I left the team behind in search of a faint signal to make a call. Again we kept in touch using our CB radios.

We began our hike up the trail. I continuously pressed the manual search button on my mobile phone every time if failed a search. Some five or six kilometres later … at last, a faint signal registered.

Darren made the call to Frank (Kellie's husband) who had rescued us before from an ill-fated expedition in 2004. Without hesitation, Frank got into his 4wd and drove up. You won't meet a more decent fellow!

When Darren and I returned, Larraine said that she heard some noises coming from the forest. It sounded as if someone or something was hitting the trees. We didn't stay long enough to dodge yet another bolide. Frank arrived around midnight, leaving behind an experience we will never forget. Would we ever go back to find out what malicious intents were lurking in the dense forestry that drove us out? Most certainly yes ... but only with the right equipment that will one day give us the advantage to see and document the evidence.

The following is a brief description of similar accounts:

Infrared Filter

Polycontrast Filter

UFO-PRSA Home DVD sales Membership Report Sightings events Meet The Team Contact us